Joe Goldberg’s Bio
Husband. Father. Iowa Hawkeye. Writer. Parrothead. Former CIA. Former Motorola Competitive Intel. International political campaign consultant. Graduate of the University of Iowa. Wheaton, Illinois, with his wife, Lynda, who is an elementary school teacher. Three grown children. Dog named Ollie. I love history and collect it (WWII road maps,Viewmasters, stuff).
I spent eight years working for the Central Intelligence Agency where I worked mostly in covert action as well as information collection and analysis. During those years, I earned a Meritorious Unit Citation and three Performance Awards.
I have written articles and chapters of books on intelligence and am a frequent speaker on intelligence subjects.
The longer version:
I’m Managing Partner of Goldberg-Campbell International and Principal Officer at The J.E. Goldberg Group, which provide consulting services and strategic communications advice to governments, political parties and advocacy organizations worldwide.
I’m also Vice President, Global Affairs for AKPD Message and Media, where I lead the international campaign business development for the firm. I have managed or advised multiple international political campaigns and messaging programs in Europe, Central and South America and Africa.
Previously, I was Senior Director, Intelligence in Motorola’s Corporate Strategy Office where I was responsible for worldwide intelligence processes, competitive analysis and collection. I began my career at Motorola in 1993. While at Motorola, I supported a number of corporate and business functions including: crisis communications, public relations, business development, venture investing, new product development, legal and human resource initiatives.
Prior to joining Motorola, I worked for the Central Intelligence Agency for eight years where I was involved in all facets of information collection, media and political analysis.
Before joining the government, I worked in the Media and Business Research departments of Frank N. Magid & Associates, a leading media research and consultation firm, based in Marion, Iowa.
- University of Iowa Political Science Advisory Board.
- Board of Directors of WorldChicago, a non-profit organization that promotes mutual understanding and appreciation between cultures through citizen diplomacy.
- President of the Board of Directors, Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) in 2008.
- In 2013, was presented the SCIP Meritorious Award that recognizes a single individual who has made significant and meritorious contributions to the intelligence profession. It is the associations’ highest honor.
- In 2006, received SCIP’s Fellow’s Award for “exceptional efforts to promote and assist both the intelligence profession and SCIP.”
- Chair of the Competitive Intelligence Foundation in 2007.
- Frequent speaker and published author on intelligence topics.
- Served on the Advisory Board of the Paladin Homeland Security Fund, LP and Paladin III, LP from 2007-2008.
- Board of Directors, B.R. Ryall YMCA, Glen Ellyn, Illinois 2002-2004; 2003 B.R. Ryall YMCA Volunteer of the Year.
- Association of Former Intelligence Officers.
I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, and Communications and Theater Arts, from the University of Iowa, and a Master of Arts degree from Iowa in Communications.